Tuesday, 19 May 2020

ONE PHOTO EDITED


Taken with my iPhone: Musselburgh


When I found myself without my Nikon on a walk along the straight path beside the mouth of the Firth of Forth I reverted to my old iPhone.  The surprising result of the panoramic take of the river was the illusion that the wall took on an acute angle. I hadn't thought of this happening.  

From the original photo, I edited on Lightroom according to suggestions made on the tutorial Creating a Dramatic, High Contrast Black and White Image.

I cropped the right and left sides slightly to centre the view and cut out the people in the distance.  The following editing controls were used:


  • The colour photo was changed to black and white.
  • Contrast was raised 15 points.
  • Highlights were raised to emphasis the contrast as much as possible to a point just before the bright areas were lost in detail.
  • The same was done with the whites.
  • Shadows were darkened.
  • Blacks were dropped to further darken the shadows and stopped just before losing too much detail.
  • In luminescence, oranges were raised slightly to brighten the tones.  
  • Yellows were raised, greens were dropped to bring back detail and blues were dropped to darken the sky.
  • Texture was increased slightly.
  • Clarity was bumped up.
  • Vignette was used to focus the middle area.

4.15 mm.
1/2500 sec. @ f/22.  ISO 32
5.3 MB

The only difference on the black and white take was that I reduced the size to 643.7 KB.






No comments:

RANDON THOUGHTS

When our son, Om, was 16 we sent him to NY to stay with his aunt in Queens. He spent 2 months hanging out and playing a guitar. I was info...