When our son, Om, was 16 we sent him to NY to stay with his aunt in Queens. He spent 2 months hanging out and playing a guitar. I was informed that he didn't speak a lot and was laid back most of the time. I have a photo of him somewhere standing with the Twin Towers in the distance behind him.
He returned home and We got the report from his aunts that he wasn't up to much and they doubted he would ever get anywhere.
Om eventually went to Napier University in Edinburgh and qualified in Timber Construction with first class honours in Engineering. He's now head project manager for Street, a private company dealing in the construction of heavy engineering projects in railway structures and other areas.
He once asked us, "Why do people need to work?" Now he knows. We never had any expectations that he would do well. He, and his sister, have carved their own way in the world and are doing OK without any expectations from us.
⭐
To Maeve, haiku lady.
Autumn leaves have turned,
Time slipped softly past the day
Happy birthday, Maeve.
⭐
The only way I'll get a tattoo is if I'm forced, like when the SS arrested Jews and others wherever and put them in a concentration camp for delivery to a gas chamber, number intact on the forearm.
What do you get from watching a film more than once?
Recently I sat through The Great Escaper for a second time starring Glenda Jackson and Michael Caine. It's incredible that Glenda was 87 years old and Michael was 89. Interestingly, Caine played Bernard Jordan, on whom the story is based and who was also 89 when the real-life events took place in 2014. The film was released shortly before Glenda's death and I wonder if she ever saw the final version.
The plot is based on events on the 70th anniversary of D Day in Normandy.
Was it worth watching for a second time? There were so many details, expressions on the faces of the actors, the realistic cut-away scenes depicting the battle scene, the message of the devastation wrought on the survivors when Caine on his knees in the midst of the thousands of gravestones crying, "What a waste!"
⭐
No comments:
Post a Comment