Came across an entry for 30th December 2015, the last time I was in Holy Isle of the coast of Arran. Leaving again for the Isle in a couple of days and, as with the last time, I'm not well. Every time I come into contact with my daughter, Callie, I seem to catch something from her.
My first night when I was last there I had a boil in my right nostril that was giving me gyp, that heavy feeling in the nose as if there were lead up there. Outside, the wind was howling but the double glazing was so efficient that no sound could be heard in the room.
Fulmaya worked in the kitchen while I was outside cutting bracken and collecting seaweed for the vegetable beds.
Met someone called Joe who works with hard of hearing in Kilmacolm; lucy, a psychotherapist from North Devon; Rose, working in the garden; Julie from Northern Ireland who I met at the volunteer week the Autumn before; Grant, who runs the place; and Josh, my neighbour from across the hall in the residence.
Now, looking forward to going this Thursday and breathing the fresh air. If I'm well enough, I'll do some volunteering a the reduced rate for the cost of boarding. Otherwise, I'll pay the full price and get on with my piece of writing for the family that I've been putting off for the last five years.
Meanwhile, today I'm going for an interview at Napier Campus in Edinburgh for a job as a scribe during exams. At 71 years old I didn't think I would work again and don't really care if I get the job or not as there are advantages for both sides of the coin: money on the one hand and time to give to my life here in Edinburgh.
No comments:
Post a Comment